October 1, 2018
The retired Alma Station came online in 1947 and helped power the region for decades. The first three units of the power plant ceased operations in 2011. Dairyland retired the final two units in 2014.
Dismantlement and decommissioning of the Alma Station has since proceeded safely and in full compliance with regulatory requirements. The main building was brought down in 2017. The 700 ft. stack is the last structure to be removed.
Dairyland’s 387 MW John P. Madgett power plant is also located on the Alma Site. It remains in full operation as a safe, sustainable and reliable source of electricity for homes and businesses.
Video footage courtesy of Elevate Media Group of La Crosse